Take an active role in your care
While we are here to help you stay healthy, only you can know when you’re ill. It’s up to you when you need to see a doctor.
The first step is to be educated about your health. That way, you’ll know when it’s time to call the doctor. Plus, the more informed you are, the better care your doctor can give you.
Be ready to ask good questions and take notes each time you visit a doctor to get the most out of your time with your doctor. To have a better understanding of your health, remember to ask your doctor some of these questions during your visits.
Stop, start and continue
- Stop: What do I need to stop doing?
- Start: What do I need to start doing?
- Continue: What do I need to keep doing?
Ask your doctor these questions before you leave the office
- What else do I need to know?
- What do I need to do to get better?
- What foods should I eat?
- What foods should I stop eating?
- Are there any community resources that can help me?
- Why is it important for me to follow these directions?
- What’s next? How do I get ready for my next appointment?
You can also download the patient checklist to print out.