Exercise & Nutrition
Get moving! Exercise can make you feel great.
Exercise is a big part of staying healthy. People who are active live longer and feel better. Exercise can help you stay at a healthy weight. It also can help prevent diabetes, some cancers and heart problems.
Most adults need at least 30 minutes of physical activity five days a week. Examples include walking, running, dancing, swimming or bicycling. Stretching and lifting weights also can improve your fitness level.
The key is to find the right exercise for you. What do you enjoy? If you are social, try walking with a friend. Or take an exercise class. If you are trying to limit stress, you may enjoy yoga. You can even borrow exercise DVDs from your local library. If you choose something that is fun, you will stay motivated.
It’s important to start slow if you haven’t been active. Talk to your doctor before starting any new exercise program.
Tips for eating right
Even simple changes to your diet can make a big difference. Try the following tips to focus on good nutrition at home:
- Make your next pasta or rice dish a healthy one. Try brown rice or whole-wheat pasta.
- Mix whole grains into a stew or stir-fry.
- If you don’t like to cook, choose easy-to-prepare or even pre-cut veggies.
- Add shredded carrots to meatloaf.
- Making lasagna? Give it a healthy boost by adding fresh veggies.
- Buy fresh fruits when they’re in season. They will taste better, and you will eat more of them.
- Keep a bowl of fruit visible on the table or counter. It will remind you to eat a healthy snack.
- Serve milk or water with meals instead of sugary sodas and juices.
Too busy to make dinner?
You can still eat healthy while eating out. Try the following tips:
- Delis: Request leaner cuts or smaller amounts of meat. Ask for extra lettuce and tomatoes. Skip the mayo and choose mustard. And finally, choose whole-grain bread.
- Chinese food: Pick brown rice instead of white, and order extra veggies. Choose seafood instead of beef.
- Fast food: Skip the super sizes. Choose small hamburgers and grilled chicken. Instead of fries, go with a side salad or fresh fruit. For a drink, ask for low-fat milk or bottled water.
- Pizza: Choose veggie toppings and half the cheese. Ask if whole-wheat crust is an option.